Day 85

My babies are growing up

· 2 min read
Day 85

Today I started preparing for the coming switch to a flowering schedule by removing Nadja's tie-downs, planting sticks, and tying her branches up with the support of each stick, being careful to keep her somewhat level on top. The key to getting even flowering using the mainlining approach is apparently ensuring the 8 colas (main branches) I split the plants into are relatively even in height; however, splitting into separate stems makes each of the branches a bit weaker and less structurally supported, necessitating the sticks for additional support. I'll be doing the same with the other plants over the coming days. I don't have quite enough sticks to plant four in each pot but I'm sure I'll make do.

Nadja at ~85 days with sticks planted to stabilize each cola.

My babies are getting thirstier by the day. Each is getting about 0.5L of water daily with 1L every so often (it's optimal for me to keep track of fertilizer in these quantities). Nandor was the inspiration for the occasional larger amounts of water. If you look at the photo from 5 days ago, you can see Nandor drooping somewhat with a couple of his leaves curling. He seems the thirstiest of the lot but I'm also trying not to drown the plants. I understand the soil shouldn't be perpetually wet or I risk root rot, but I suspect it's going to be up to a full 1L per day for each plant once they start flowering.

It's amazing how quickly these plants are growing vs. my last grow, which is mostly, I think, a lesson in correct fertilizer use: even in soil, ensure to use supplement micronutrients as well. Cannabis is apparently very needy and uses up the nutrients in soil quickly so requires base levels of these all the time, same as in a hydroponic grow. When I grew Theodosia (pink lemonade) in the space bin, I only used calcium & magnesium supplements and the nitrogen mix until I started the plants flowering. I also wasn't very consistent about measuring. This time, the plants are on the full array of nutrients in fixed, measured amounts (the levels of which will be adjusted when I switch the plants to flowering), and it has made all the difference.

Cannabis plants on the tent cam, day 85.

Related Articles

Day 100
· 2 min read
Day 95
· 1 min read
Day 90
· 2 min read
Day 80
· 1 min read
Day 75
· 2 min read
Day 74
· 1 min read